Welcome to the Writing Center!
At the Writing Center, you'll find the support and feedback you need to complete writing projects with less stress and the highest possible quality.
The Writing Center (WC) is an instructional service; you won't find editors or proofreaders to do the work for you. Whatever your major and wherever you are in your composing process, you will find friendly, certified writing coaches who can help you communicate to the best of your ability and meet any writing challenge:
- Breaking writer’s block, getting projects started, and managing your writing time
- Focusing, organizing, and developing rough drafts
- Interpreting class assignments, evaluations, and thesis/dissertation committee feedback
- Identifying errors in grammar, punctuation, and usage
- Practicing effective proofreading strategies
- Avoiding plagiarism and mastering APA, MLA, and other citation styles
- Developing personal statements for graduate and professional programs
- Preparing for Praxis Core writing and GRE analytical essays
Schedule Writing Center appointments by calling (319) 273-2361 or stopping by 008 ITTC. Our services are open to all currently-enrolled UNI undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday fall through spring, and 8:00 am - 4:30 pm during summer terms. Click Student Information for a complete guide to using Writing Center services.
“The Writing Center has been very helpful . . . not only did they find my mistakes, but they taught me how to look for them and fix them as well. I probably would have failed my writing class if I had not sought help from the Writing Center.”
—Nicole N., Music Education